Tuesday, February 12, 2013

tips for a valentine party

Disclaimer: I am by no means calling myself an expert on anything. My "tips" are mostly sarcastic and light-hearted. I'm just giving my opinion and sharing my knowledge of life experiences. I hope you find them entertaining. 

Last weekend I planned/hosted a Valentine party. I put my heart and soul into that party. You could say it was my baby and I loved every second of it.

Tip #1 of planning an awesome holiday party: come up with a super creative name for it that only you know about. I decided to call this Be Mine Valentine 2013. Took me a while to come up with, for real.

Tip #2 Don't over do it! Originally, I had planned an extravagant meal plan. Appetizers, a main course, and desserts galore! Thankfully, my older sister Kelly talked me into just doing desserts. It was perfect and I didn't drive myself crazy in the process.

Tip #3 Plan ahead. I was inviting people, buying decorations, and ordering desserts a month in advance. 5 wonderful couples were able to attend, my decorations came just in time, and the desserts were marvelous!

Tip #4 Have an amazing, supportive husband who is willing to finish painting your house, buy you a Polaroid camera (specifically for the party), and surprise you with roses. Without him the party would have fallen apart.

Tip #5 Prepare entertainment. People love to be entertained. My choices were pictures with props and my own version of the newlywed game. Both were a hit! (I think) The pictures gave them something to take home as a memory and the game was hilarious. Also, adding a prize for the winner encourages the too-cool-for-school attendees to participate.

Tip #6 Have a super awesome friend run to Walmart to buy yet another helium tank when your giant balloons drain the first one after a balloon and a half. Thanks again Julia!

Here are some photos from the party with links underneath as to where I purchased items in case you are curious. Enjoy!

my favorite party planning partner Julia

The pink heart straws, red stripe straws, and bakers twine were purchased from the Cupcake Social. Great prices, adorable products! 

pictures taken with my new instax mini polaroid camera

The frame was purchased at Good Will then taken apart and painted by me. 


Some were more creative than others with their picures...


The giant balloons were purchased at Balloon Maniacs
funny story: the purchase to balloonmaniacs.com was flagged as possible fraud on my credit card. Had to admit (on speaker phone) that purchase was legitimate. 

The Crush soda bottles were purchased at Walmart.
A fun little detail I probably appreciated more than anyone.

The candy tower was donated by the lovely Kelly 

The heart shaped macaroons were purchased at Le Reve so delicious. 
The wonderful cake pops were made by my talented Aunt Karen. She does not have a website but she should. That woman is amazing.

Rock candy stir sticks were purchased at Fuzziwigs Candy Factory


xoxo


1 comment:

Julia said...

YAYAYAYA!!! As a witness (one of the 5 wonderful couple members (hopefully (there were 6 that came besides the hosts (lolololol)))) I can say that THE PARTY WAS GREAT!